Bonkers Beat Song – ‘Special Just Like Me’
‘Special Just Like Me’ (Music & Lyrics by Galina Zenin)
Leading and Open-Ended Questions:
- What makes you special?
- What is special about someone you love, for example Mum, Dad or a sibling?
- What makes you different?
- What makes us the same?
- Have you seen people in wheelchairs?
- Why do you think they are in a wheelchair?
- Have you met people who can’t see?
- Have you met people who can’t hear?
- Which part of your face helps you smell?
- What part of your face helps you taste and speak?
- What part of your face helps you see?
- What part of your head helps you hear?
- What is respect?
- Why do we need to respect other people?
Ideas to Boost Creativity:
– Encourage your child to make a self-portrait by using natural materials
Ideas to Promote Literacy/ Numeracy:
-Counting hands, arms, feet, fingers, toes
-Puzzles, activities with herbs, flowers, mystery box
Provocations for Thinking and Possibilities for Learning:
–Ask children to identify in what ways they are unique.
–Explore concepts of disability and how these differences can be considered.
–Have an open discussion with children and ask them to share if they know someone with a disability and discuss how that person resolves challenges presented by that disability.
-Discuss Paralympics and the opportunities that presents for people with disabilities/special rights. Identify/ expand on the similarities between people.
Project: Ask children to draw a picture of themselves and a friend and identify what is similar and different between them. Discuss with children how we can live in harmony and respect each other.